Child Support Orders Can Be Modified!

Call Austin family lawyer Jackson F. Gorski to learn more.

When a marriage involving children ends in the state of Texas, or if non-married parents split, the law states that both parents still have an obligation to provide care for their child or children.

Even if the parents no longer live in the same household, they are obligated to provide financial support for the child. Child support is often court-ordered and designed to make sure the child is financially cared for. Child support is usually paid by the noncustodial parent to make sure that the needs of the child are met. When engaging a family court in matters related to child support in Texas, both parents should have legal representation to ensure they’re getting a fair deal.

If you’re pursuing litigation within the Texas family court system with regard to a claim for child support, a request for child support payment reduction, or for another matter, call Austin family lawyer Jackson F. Gorski at 512-960-4646 for experienced guidance and legal representation.

Back to top

Custodial Parent

The custodial parent is the parent that the child lives with and they provide the daily care for the child.

The custodial parent will engage the court with the assistance of their lawyer to file a child support claim or to ensure they are getting enough support from the other parent. They’re awarded this money in care of the child to provide the child with food, clothing, shelter, and other basic needs.

Texas family courts use a specific formula to estimate child support payments. The net income of the noncustodial parent, the number of children being provided for, and their expenses are considered in the formula to help the court determine a fair child support payment. The cost of health insurance is also factored in to make sure that the child has adequate health coverage.

Back to top

Non-Custodial Parent

Even though the child may not live with one of their parents, that parent is still obligated by law to provide financial support for the child. They’ll need to make sure that while they are providing for their children that there is enough money left to support themselves with food and shelter as well.

Non-custodial parents should have legal representation for their own financial protection. Noncustodial parents should always take steps to ensure that the money they are paying for the care of their child is being used to take care of the child and not for the custodial parent to spend carelessly.

The lawyer representing the non-custodial parent should be focused on helping their client to petition the court for a fair payment amount.

If you’re a non-custodial parent and you need to consult with an experienced Austin family lawyer regarding fair and just payments, call Attorney Jackson F. Gorski at 512-960-4646.

Back to top

Changes to Child Support Payments

Only the court has the power to make changes to child support payments. If there’s a change in the financial situation of the non-custodial parent, either parent may request a court review of their original agreement.

This first step is to gather and organize the data supporting the claim, provide it to your lawyer, and they’ll petition on your behalf. The judge may be able to change the monthly payments by 20 percent or $100 based on specific guidelines. A parent and their lawyer can request that the child support payments be reviewed once every three years to ensure that the payment isn’t deviant from current standards. Periodic reviews of this nature could be beneficial to either the custodial parent or the noncustodial parent.

Child support matters are touchy subjects that spark a lot of emotion. A parent should never go into the legal process alone when child support matters are being determined.

Both parents should have a lawyer so the state of Texas can determine a fair and appropriate amount for the care of the child or children while taking into consideration the financial abilities of both parents.

Back to top

Need to Consult with a Lawyer about Child Support?

Call Attorney Jackson F. Gorski today!

Whether you’re the payee or the recipient, The Law Office of Jackson F. Gorski can and will provide the assistance and counseling you’ll need to counter all challenges related to having a child support order modified.

If you have questions about health insurance, length of child support payments, changing payment amounts, or for solutions to paying child support for a child that isn’t yours, contact Attorney Jackson F. Gorski by calling 512-960-4646.

Back to top